Democrats Could Lower Unemployment To 4.3% By Election Day If They'd Just Quit Looking For Work
If all unemployed Democrats simply stopped looking for work, they could get Obama's unemployment rate down to 4.3% by Election Day. Here’s how.
They say that no president since FDR has ever won reelection with an unemployment rate over 7.2%, and the April unemployment rate ticked down by 0.1% to 8.1% - with the help of those unemployed people who threw in the towel and gave up looking for work.
Unemployed people who give up looking for work are not counted as “unemployed” by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) in its calculation of the unemployment rate.
So, if all unemployed Democrats surveyed by the BLS reported that they’d given up for work, they could lower the unemployment rate to 4.3%.
So, here’s how unemployment Democrats can do their part to reduce the unemployment rate and help Obama win reelection (all other things remaining equal):
- 12,500,000 people were counted as unemployed by the BLS out of a labor force of 154,365,000
- This yields an unemployment rate of 8.1%.
- 47% of people are Democrats (including what Gallup calls “leaners”),
- 12,500,000 X 47% = 5,875,000 “unemployed” Democrats
- 12,500,000 unemployed – 5,875,000 unemployed Democrat drop-outs = 6,625,000 unemployed
- 6,625,000 divided by 154,365,000 = 4.3% unemployment if all unemployed Democrats gave up looking for work
Thus, if Democrats remove themselves from the workforce, even though they are still technically unemployed (and no longer earning money to spend in our economy), the unemployment rate decreases.
And, that’s good for Obama, right?
So, maybe, his new campaign slogan should be: “Abandon Hope, And Change Your Answer.”
See more "Right Views, Right Now"