Human nature prefers conflict avoidance, especially when that conflict requires the drawing of moral absolutes. We would prefer the and-also scenario over the either-or. If there's a way to put off doing the right (hard) thing, we will most assuredly find it.
But what's often forgotten is that evil also has its own absolutes. Sure, at first evil pretends like it wants to go-along to get-along. But, then, once it has successfully de-sensitized and/or emasculated the good with these empty words, evil announces its true intentions. When all is said and done evil has no intention of peacefully co-existing, but will doggedly pursue its agenda once the good has been disarmed.
In recent years as America has become a land of confusion, wrestling with how quickly to vanquish the traditions and virtues that made it the greatest country on Earth, many Americans who should otherwise know better have become infested with what I call magical thinking. I define magical thinking as believing what you want to be true, whether or not it really is. Magical thinking comes with its own preferred mythology, and in this case that preferred mythology goes as follows:
"I don't know why these social conservatives keep distracting us with issues like the definition of marriage or abortion. The country is falling apart. We're broke. Who cares if two dudes get married or not? As long as they leave me alone and don't shove their lifestyle down my throat why do I care?"
The presumption here is those defending standard moral tradition for centuries are on the offensive pushing the issue, when nothing could be further from the truth. You can't be simultaneously playing defense and pushing the issue. No, it is the other side that has been pushing the issue to the forefront all along. Now that they sense they have the prevailing winds of pop culture at their collective backs, they're finally being brazenly honest about who they are, what they believe, and the brave, new world they intend to replace Judeo-Christian morality with.
- In Texas, those in favor of killing unborn children anytime, anywhere, and for any reason chanted "Hail Satan." Truer words were never spoken.
- In London, an American evangelist was arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin while he was doing some sidewalk preaching.
- In Australia, a new television ad campaign includes an ultra-sound technician telling a young couple, "Congratulations, you're having a lesbian."
- In California a bill was passed that allows boys to use the girls' bathrooms/locker rooms, and vice versa.
- In Seattle, homosexual activists were captured on video brutally beating a Christian street preacher.
- Next year, the Disney Channel will feature a lesbian couple on one of its TV sitcoms aimed at youth.
- In Colorado, a baker faces up to a year in jail for refusing to make a wedding cake for a homosexual couple on religious conscience grounds, even though state law doesn't recognize any union other than a marriage between a man and a woman.
These are all stories that have emerged since June 22nd - which is less than three weeks ago. And there's going to be plenty more where that came from. Especially after you have five justices on the U.S. Supreme Court using their legal opinions as a platform to condemn those who believe in the moral laws this country was founded upon.
But some of you will respond to reading this with sneering indifference, and continue on in your magical thinking that this doesn't affect you, but rather I'm the bad guy for reminding you that it will. Or, maybe, you think our phony currency, struggling economy, or government debt are our primary problems, not realizing the same people pushing immoral fiscal and economic policy are the same ones pushing these other societal evils as one giant block grant of pagan progressivism intended to undo American Exceptionalism.
Maybe, you think that, if you just leave evil alone it will extend the same courtesy to you as we all enjoy a "live and let live" nirvana of moral ambiguity, but evil will take your silence and indifference as opposition. You will either conform to evil or be targeted by it, just like in the examples cited above.
Right now you may not care. But I promise you this-you will be made to care.