Yosemite Rodent Disease

August 17, 2012 - 12:34 AM
In this photo from Sunday Oct. 23, 2011, tents are seen in Curry Village in Yosemite National Park, Calif. A man died and a woman became seriously ill after contracting a rare rodent-borne disease that might have been linked to their stay at this popular lodging area in Yosemite National Park, officials said Thursday. The man was the first person to die from hantavirus pulmonary syndrome contracted in the park, though two others were stricken in a more remote area in 2000 and 2010, officials said. Testing by the Centers for Disease Control and the California Department of Public Health showed the virus was present in fecal matter from deer mice trapped in Curry Village, an historic, family friendly area of cabins. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)