Video: Mother Begs ISIS to Release Her Son as Obama Remains Silent

August 28, 2014 - 10:25 AM

The mother of 31-year-old journalist Steven Sotloff has finally decided to speak publicly about her son's capture by ISIS and President Obama still has not released a statement pressuring ISIS leaders to spare his life.

In her statement to the New York Times, she pleaded ISIS leaders to spare her son's life:

“I am sending this message to you, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi al-Quraishi al-Hussaini, the caliph of the Islamic State. I am Shirley Sotloff. My son Steven is in your hands,” she says in a video. “You, the caliph, can grant amnesty. I ask you please to release my child.”

"I want what every mother wants: to live to see her children's children. I plead with you to grant me this."

The video notes that Shirley Sotloff is the first non-Muslim to acknowledge Abu Bakr's authority.

CNSNews previously reported that President Obama gave a statement on James Foley but ignored Steven Sotloff's capture even though he was the subject of a video with an ISIS terrorist threatening to kill him.

CNSNews also reported that Obama said "ISIS speaks for no religion" and that even though ISIS's victims are Muslim, no faith teaches people to kill others.

Mrs. Sotloff requested that media not draw attention to her son’s capture because of ISIS's threats to kill her son.  ISIS on the other hand, broke that blackout when they released the video of James Foley.

ISIS has mounted pressure on Obama to speak on the issue with a viral #StevensHeadInObamasHands Twitter campaign.

ISIS instructed its followers to warn that Sotloff will be executed if the U.S. continues to bomb ISIS in Iraq.  The group even gave its English-language followers ready-made graphics so the campaign could spread beyond its Arab base, according to The Daily News.

The White House has not released any comments even after the social media campaign launch.