9/11 families want info on phone hacking probe

July 18, 2011 - 6:29 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — Relatives of Sept. 11 victims are asking the FBI to brief them on its probe into allegations that News Corp. journalists hacked into terror victims' phones.

The allegation first surfaced in the British newspaper the Mirror. The FBI launched a preliminary inquiry last week after U.S. Rep. Peter King of New York and other members of Congress wrote to FBI Director Robert Mueller demanding action.

Sally Regenhard, whose firefighter son Christian was killed in the attacks, says she's been fielding phone calls from concerned family members of victims. She says there's a lot of confusion and the families want an update on what investigators know so far.

The phone hacking scandal continued to roil London on Monday as Prime Minister David Cameron called an emergency session of Parliament to address the crisis.