AP Interview: IndyCar CEO revisits "horrific" week

October 25, 2011 - 6:35 PM
IndyCar Wheldon Bernard Auto Racing

In this photo made Monday, Oct. 24, 2011, IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard talks about loss of driver Dan Wheldon during an interview in his office at the IndyCar headquarters in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Randy Bernard knows there are people who blame him for Dan Wheldon's death, who say the IndyCar CEO pushed the series over the edge.

In the 24 hours after the two-time Indianapolis 500 winner was killed in a fiery 15-car accident in the season finale, Bernard wondered if perhaps all the hate mail accusing him of sacrificing safety for the show was right.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, he says last week was "probably the most horrific week of my life."

Now, Bernard is focused on moving forward and helping IndyCar through this dark period. He says he never once considered resigning but admits IndyCar is now "in crisis, and we have to get answers."

And he insists he did not sensationalize the inherent danger in auto racing.