APNewsBreak: NY suspends 8 charter, tour bus lines

July 25, 2011 - 8:13 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Amid a rash of tour bus crashes, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (KWOH'-moh) says he'll suspend the operating licenses of eight charter and tour bus companies after repeated failures in safety inspections.

He says the companies each failed three or more roadside inspections of buses or drivers in the last six months.

He said Monday violations of safety regulations by charter bus companies have "gone on for too long and put too many lives at risk."

His order will sideline about 100 buses within five days until state officials can thoroughly inspect them.

The enforcement comes after several fatal bus crashes this year. Two crashes last week killed three people.

The eight cited companies weren't involved in the fatal crashes. Some of them say they have clean records and have passed inspections.