Bellagio bandit gets 6 more years in 2nd case

August 25, 2011 - 12:30 PM

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A motorcycle-helmeted bandit who was sentenced earlier this week to three to 11 years in prison for the gunpoint holdup of the posh Bellagio casino was handed an additional six to 16 years for an earlier armed robbery at another Las Vegas casino.

A Nevada judge told 30-year-old Anthony Michael Carleo the "planning and sophistication" of the Dec. 9 robbery at the Suncoast Hotel & Casino — plus the Bellagio caper five days later — merited the combined nine to 27 year sentence.

Carleo is the son of a former Las Vegas judge. He apologized before sentencing and asked for leniency.

His lawyer, William Terry, said after Thursday's hearing he was "greatly disappointed" by the sentence.

Prosecutor Chris Owens says Villani had the advantage of considering both robberies.