Buffalo mass shooting gunman gets life in prison

June 2, 2011 - 11:29 AM

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A Buffalo, N.Y., man has been sentenced to life without parole for shooting eight people outside a downtown restaurant last summer, killing four.

An Erie County jury earlier this year found 24-year-old Riccardo McCray guilty of three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and weapons possession.

Before he was sentenced Thursday, McCray stood and again denied he was the shooter.

He had turned himself in at a Buffalo television station 11 days after the Aug. 14 shooting as police were looking for him. He said he was at the City Grill when the shots erupted but wasn't the shooter.

But during his trial, several prosecution witnesses identified McCray — some by his nickname "Murder" — as the gunman.

Prosecutors said he fired 10 shots in 17 seconds.