CEO: Kidnappers threatened Foley's life last week

By the Associated Press | August 20, 2014 | 9:04 PM EDT

GlobalPost President and CEO Philip Balboni reacts as he speaks during a news conference in Boston, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014, one day after a video was released showing the beheading of U.S. journalist James Foley by Islamic State militants in Iraq. Balboni said the news service received an email "full of rage" last week in which Foley's captors threatened to kill him. Balboni said the White House was aware of the threat, but no negotiations took place. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

BOSTON (AP) — The chief executive officer of a Boston-based news organization says James Foley's kidnappers last week threatened to kill him in response to U.S. bombings in Iraq.

Foley was freelancing for GlobalPost when he disappeared in Syria. GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni told reporters Wednesday that the threatening email sent to Foley's family was "full of rage" but made no demands. He says the kidnappers ignored pleas for mercy.

Balboni says the company spent millions on efforts to bring Foley home, including hiring an international security firm.

The 40-year-old journalist from Rochester, New Hampshire, was beheaded by Islamic State militants. A video recording of the slaying was released Tuesday.

Foley was abducted in northern Syria in November 2012 and had not been heard from since.