Cockpit Security Technical Corrections and Improvements Act
July 7, 2008 - 8:30 PM
This bill will create a last line of defense in the sky and help prevent future terrorist attacks.
Arms Pilots Faster - TSA has been dragging their feet in arming our commercial pilots. So far only a small fraction of our 100,000 pilots are armed.
* Trains all commercial pilots who volunteer within 90 days from when they apply.
* Any pilot who volunteers and can legally own a firearm will be armed after training.
* Any volunteer pilot with a military or law enforcement background and recent firearms training is immediately armed and will be trained within 6 months.
Makes Pilots An Effective Defense - TSA's rules are ineffective against terrorism. TSA takes the guns away from pilots when they are most vulnerable and keep them off international flights.
* Puts armed pilots on international flights immediately.
* Allows the pilot to carry the gun inside and outside the cockpit.
* Ends the practice of carrying firearms in a locked box in the luggage.
Tears Down Walls TSA Built - TSA has only opened one training facility. TSA's paperwork and unknown selection criteria are keeping pilots from signing up. TSA threatens pilots not to talk to their members of Congress.
* Eliminates arbitrary and unknown selection criteria.
* Ends redundant background screenings - pilots already get them to be licensed.
* Requires training facilities opened throughout the country so pilots can get to them.
* Requires the government to pay for the pilot's travel expenses.
* Protects the privacy of pilots who volunteer.
* Ensures that pilots can talk to Congress about the program.