Death toll from Mumbai triple bombing rises to 20

July 19, 2011 - 5:44 AM

NEW DELHI (AP) — The death toll from last week's bombings in India's financial hub rose to 20 Tuesday as Mumbai police pursue leads gathered from the three blast sites.

A man succumbed to severe burn injuries he sustained when a bomb exploded in the crowded Jhaveri Bazaar in Mumbai, said police inspector Madhe.

Nearly 80 people injured by the bombings were still in hospitals, said Madhe, who uses only one name. More than 130 people had been injured in the attack last Wednesday.

Mumbai's anti-terrorism squad was examining footage from closed circuit cameras at the bomb sites as police hunt for the perpetrators. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombings, and investigators have not named any suspects.

Suspicion has fallen on the Indian Mujahideen, an Islamic militant group linked to Pakistan's Lashkar-e-Taiba that has claimed past terrorist attacks using similar explosives.

Police have fanned out to at least 10 cities to question Mujahideen activists, some of whom are in jail for their involvement in earlier attacks.

The blasts were the deadliest terrorist attack in Mumbai since a 2008 siege in which 166 people were killed in an assault that lasted three days.