Defense to seek new trial for Ohio serial killer
CLEVELAND (AP) — A document filed in a Cleveland court shows attorneys for a serial killer sentenced to death last week plan to request a new trial, alleging juror misconduct.
A motion filed Friday says the jury forewoman was prejudiced against 51-year-old Anthony Sowell (SOH'-wehl). He was convicted of killing 11 women whose remains were found in his Cleveland home in 2009.
Defense attorney Rufus Sims says the motion was filed prematurely and that the defense is working on a replacement. He says the defense has to wait until 14 days after the sentencing before they can request a new trial.
The attorneys cite comments made by the forewoman after the trial, including her statement that Sowell winked at her at one point.