Egypt prosecutor: Mubarak responsible for killings

January 5, 2012 - 8:01 AM
Mideast Egypt

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak is wheeled into a van after attending a trial in Cairo, Egypt, Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012. The chief prosecutor in Hosni Mubarak's trial accused the ousted Egyptian leader of imposing "tyrannical rule" and devoting the last 10 years of his three decades in power to ensure his son would succeed him. (AP Photo/Mohammed al-Law)

CAIRO (AP) — The chief prosecutor in the Hosni Mubarak trial says he holds the ousted leader "politically and legally" responsible for the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising that toppled his regime last year.

Mustafa Suleiman also said in court Thursday that Mubarak did nothing to stop the killings and that he was aware of them from meetings with aides, regional TV channels and reports by his security agencies.

He said Mubarak's security chief and co-defendant, Habib el-Adly, authorized the use of live ammunition on orders from Mubarak.

Mubarak and el-Adly could face the death penalty if convicted of complicity in the killing of protesters. Facing the same charge are six police commanders on trial alongside the two. Mubarak's sons, Alaa and Gamal, are charged with corruption in the same case.