BOSTON (AP) — The fire department says a Boston College student doing an experiment alone in a lab has been injured in a chemical explosion.
Fire officials and hazmat crew were called just after 10:45 a.m. Saturday to the Merkert Chemistry Center. Hazmat crews are examining the building.
A student injured in the explosion told emergency workers that she was using a chemical called thionyl chloride alone in the lab. Thionyl chloride can be used to make mustard gas and nerve toxins.
The extent of the student's injuries was unclear. The fire department says no one else was injured and that the explosion was confined to the basement lab.
The fire department is talking to the student's professor about the experiment.