Florida Father Arrives In Cuba In Hopes Of Getting His Son
July 7, 2008
(CNSNews.com) - In a mirror image of the Elian Gonzalez story, an American man has arrived in Havana, hoping to reunite with his five-year-old son who was taken to Cuba by his mother last month.
Jon Colombini, who lives in Homestead, Florida, left Miami late Sunday night with an attorney who specializes in international custody cases.
Colombini is hoping to convince his ex-wife, Arletis Blanco, to let him bring their son, Jonathon, back to the United States.
Last month, Blanco left the Florida Keys on a fishing boat, along with Jonathon, her infant daughter, and boyfriend. At the time, Florida authorities were investigating allegations that Blanco embezzled $150,000 from her former employer, McKenzie Petroleum.
Blanco has said she wants to start a new life in Pinar del Rio, Cuba.
The Miami Herald reports that Colombini and his wife share custody of Jonathon, who was born in Miami. The couple divorced in 1998.
Blanco's boyfriend has relatives living in Pinar del Rio and she has told Cuban authorities that she wants to remain there.
The Castro government has not officially commented on the case.
Meanwhile, Florida officials say getting the boy back to the United States legally could be complicated because the United States does not have an extradition agreement with Cuba.