Ga. students attend another school after gas scare

December 4, 2012 - 6:33 AM
Students Hospitalized

Students receive medical attention Monday, Dec. 3, 2012, outside Finch Elementary School in southwest Atlanta. Potentially lethal carbon monoxide levels at the school sent at least 42 students and six adults to hospitals Monday amid the evacuation of about 500 students, authorities said. (AP Photo/Atlanta Journal Constitution, John Spink) MARIETTA DAILY OUT, GWINNETT DAILY POST OUT LOCAL TV OUT (WXIA, WGCL, FOX 5)

ATLANTA (AP) — Students from an Atlanta elementary school where potentially deadly carbon monoxide seeped into the air will attend classes at a middle school about three miles away.

School officials hope to reopen Finch Elementary School after repairs are made to a faulty boiler. More than 40 students and seven adults were treated at hospitals Monday after complaining of symptoms from the colorless, odorless gas.

Atlanta Public Schools said in a statement Tuesday morning that students can still walk to Finch, and buses will pick them up there and take them to Kennedy Middle School. Parents can drop off their children at Finch, where buses will pick them up, or at Kennedy.

Finch Elementary has no carbon monoxide detectors, and Georgia law does not require them in schools.