Governments condemn shootings in Egypt

July 9, 2013 - 11:36 AM
APTOPIX Mideast Egypt

A man sits by a body of a person killed when Egyptian soldiers and police opened fire on supporters of the ousted President Mohammed Morsi early Monday in Cairo, Egypt, Monday, July 8 , 2013. The violence left dozens people killed outside the Republican Guard military building in Cairo where demonstrators had been holding a sit-in, government officials and witnesses said. (AP Photo/ Ahmed Gomaa )

Governments have reacted strongly to the clashes between Egyptian troops and supporters of the ousted president Mohammed Morsi that have left dozens dead.

TURKEY

Turkey's Islamic-rooted government, which had formed an alliance with the ousted Islamist leader and has criticized his overthrow, was quick to condemn the killings. Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu tweeted: "I strongly condemn the massacre that took place at morning prayers in the name of basic human values."

He added: "A political normalization process that respects the will of the Egyptian people must begin"

BRITAIN

Britain called for movement toward free and fair elections and agreement on a democratic constitution, and called on Egyptian authorities to carry out an investigation into the events that led to the deaths. "There is an urgent need for calm and restraint," said Foreign Secretary William Hague.

PALESTINIANS

The Hamas militant group condemned the killings and expressed "extreme pain and grief for the falling of these victims," but stopped short of taking sides in the unfolding crisis in its neighbor. While identifying ideologically with Morsi, Hamas also maintains ties with Egyptian security forces that patrol the border with Gaza.

QATAR

The wealthy Gulf nation, a main backer of Morsi's government, expressed "great concern" over the deadly clashes and urged authorities to guarantee the "rights and protections" for all groups to express their views. The official Qatar News Agency, quoting an unnamed official, urged for political dialogue in Egypt, but made no mention of appeals by Morsi's backers for his return to power.

Qatar also has not made any public statements on the status of its pledges to the Morsi government, which included up to $21 billion in investment and economic aid over the next five years.

GERMANY

The German Foreign Ministry said it was "dismayed" over reports of violence and called for a "speedy clarification" by an independent body into the events surrounding the latest killings. The ministry also advised that travel to Egypt except for the Red Sea and Sinai beaches was strongly discouraged.