Hillary Clinton: 'We Are Holding Ourselves Accountable to the American People'

October 24, 2012 - 12:23 PM

APTOPIX Peru US Clinton Libya

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton pauses while delivering a speech after meeting Peru's President Ollanta Humala in Lima, Peru, Monday, Oct. 15, 2012. (AP Photo/Karel Navarro)

(CNSNews.com) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton -- who repeatedly suggested that an obscure anti-Muslim video prompted the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi -- on Wednesday was confronted with new reports that the Obama administration knew within two hours that the attack was launched by the terrorist group Ansar al-Sharia.

Clinton told reporters on Wednesday that the claim of responsibility -- noted by State Department officials within hours -- had been posted on Facebook, and "is not in and of itself evidence."

She also said the reporting in the hours after the attack "was fluid" for some time:

"Now, finally, on Benghazi -- Look, I've said it and I'll say it one more time. No one wants to find out what happened more than I do. We are  holding ourselves accountable to the American people, because not only they but our great diplomats and development experts serving in dangerous places around the world deserve no less. The Independent Accountability Review Board is already hard at work looking at everything -- not cherry picking, you know, one story here one document there, but looking at everything, which I highly recommend -- as the appropriate approach to something as complex as, ah, as an attack like this.

"You know, posting something on Facebook is not in and of itself evidence, and I think it just underscores how fluid the reporting was at the time, and continued for some time to be. What I keep in mind is that four brave Americans were killed. And we will find out what happened. We will take whatever measures are necessary to fix anything that needs to be fixed, and we will bring those to justice who committed these murders. And I think that, ah, that is what we have said, that is what we are doing, and I'm very confident that we will, uh, achieve these goals."

Clinton spoke to reporters on Wednesday morning after meeting with the Brazilian foreign minister.

The question remains -- why did Obama administration officials continue to blame the Benghazi attack on a video days after they received information indicating it was a terrorist attack on U.S. interests on the 11th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.