Hillary's Fundraising Attracts Another Subpoena for White House
(CNSNews.com) - Hillary Clinton's use of an official White House guest list to raise funds for her own Senate campaign has resulted in House Government Reform and Operations Committee Chairman Dan Burton (R-IN) issuing another subpoena Monday for the White House.
Burton said he is issuing the subpoena as part of his committee's probe into the continued use of official White House resources for fund-raising purposes. Specifically, Burton wants to see all documents involving people invited to stay in the Lincoln Bedroom and at Camp David.
Last month, according to a committee statement, "The White House released a list of over 400 people who stayed either in the Lincoln Bedroom or at Camp David since July, 1999. Many of those guests were major Democratic Party donors who gave more than $600,000 to the First Lady's Senate campaign (in New York State). However, the White House refused to release the dates of those sleepovers or any other details."
Burton said, "It's becoming more and more clear that the White House has absolutely no remorse for the many fund-raising abuses they committed in 1996. They appear to be doing it all over again this year. They used the White House database to benefit the President's campaign in 1996, and they appear to be doing it again for the First Lady's campaign in New York. We have no choice but to try to get to the bottom of this."
Hillary's opponent, Republican Rick Lazio, also is demanding that Clinton account for her fund-raising contacts.
"New Yorkers are disgusted by this abuse of the public trust, and they will not elect a Senate candidate whose campaign has so brazenly broken the law in pursuit of campaign funds. What's next? Auctioning off the White House china or selling roses from the Rose Garden out on Pennsylvania Avenue?" Lazio's campaign manager Bill Dal Col said in a statement.
The White House had no comment.