IndyCar CEO: Focus is on Wheldon, safety

October 22, 2011 - 6:48 PM
WHELDON-TRAGEDIA SPANNY150

En esta fotografía de archivo del 30 de mayo del 2011 aparece el piloto británico Dan Wheldon con el trofeo de campeón de las 500 Millas de Indianápolis. Wheldon falleció el domingo 16 de octubre luego de un tremendo choque de varios carros en la pista de Las Vegas durante la última carrera de la serie IndyCar. (Foto AP/Michael Conroy, archivo)

IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard says the best way to honor Dan Wheldon is to take steps to prevent another fatal accident.

The two-time Indianapolis 500 winner was killed Sunday in a 15-car accident at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Bernard said Wednesday night that IndyCar is conducting a thorough investigation he hopes will provide answers the series can use to improve safety measures.

But neither Formula One's governing body nor the Automobile Competition Committee of the United States are formally involved in the investigation. IndyCar said earlier this week it was receiving assistance from those two organizations.

Bernard says many in the industry have banded together this week to focus on supporting Wheldon's family and preparing for his memorial service.

Wheldon's death was the first fatal accident in IndyCar since Paul Dana was killed in 2006. But safety concerns have been raised about the wisdom of racing at high-banked Las Vegas since Wheldon's accident.