Iran dismisses reported UN claims of nuclear work

November 5, 2011 - 9:35 AM

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has said that evidence which the U.N. reportedly plans to release showing alleged Iranian work on nuclear weapons is a fabrication.

Diplomats have told The Associated Press that the U.N. atomic agency plans to reveal intelligence next week suggesting Iran made computer models of a nuclear warhead, as well as other previously undisclosed details on alleged secret work by Tehran on nuclear arms.

But Salehi during a press conference in Tehran Saturday said that the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency had given in to U.S. pressure to level accusations against Tehran.

"The Americans raised documents like this in the past: the Niger scandal", he said, in reference to claims made prior to the 2003 Iraq war, based on a forgery, that Baghdad had sought uranium from Niger.