Iraq Casualties Up From July, Down 76 Percent from Year Ago
September 2, 2008 - 7:27 PMU.S. casualties in Iraq were higher in August than they were in July, but down sharply from a year ago, according to a <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">CNSNews.com</b> analysis of Pentagon data.
There were 20 U.S. casualties connected with Operation Iraqi Freedom in August 2008, 13 of which were caused by enemy action. That compares to 83 casualties in August 2007, 56 of which were caused by enemy action.
That means total casualties in Iraq dropped about 76 percent from last August, and combat casualties in Iraq dropped about 77 percent
In July 2008, there were 11 U.S. casualties in Iraq, five of which were combat casualties.
U.S. Casualties in Operation Iraqi Freedom in August
1. Army Spc. Kevin Dickson, 21, of Steelville, Mo., died Aug. 2 in Balad, Baghdad from a non-combat incident that is still under investigation.
2. Army Staff Sgt. Brian Miller, 37, of Pendleton Ind., died Aug. 2 in Abd Allah, Iraq, part of the Maysan Province, as a result of a vehicle accident.
3. Army Pvt. Timothy Hutton, 21, Dillon Mont., died Aug. 4 from non-combat injuries in Baghdad. The incident remains under investigation.
4. Army Master Sgt. Danny Maybin, 47, Colombia, S.C., died Aug. 7 from non-combat injuries in Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.
5. Army Pvt. Janelle King (Female), 23, Merced, Calif. died Aug. 14 in non-combat incident in Baghdad.
6. Marine Lance Cpl. Travis Stottlemyer, 20, Hatfield Pa. died Aug. 17 in non-combat incident in Manama, Bahrain.
7. Army Spc.Jorge Feliz Nieve, 26, Queens Village N.Y. died Aug. 28 of injuries sustained in vehicle accident in Mosul, Iraq, part of the Ninawa Province.
1. Sgt. Gary Henry, 34, Indianapolis, Ind., died Aug. 4 in Baghdad, Iraq from an IED.
2. Army Spc. Jonathan Menke, 22, Madison, Ind., died Aug. 4 in Baghdad, Iraq from an IED.
3. Marine Cpl. Stewart Trejo, 25, Whitefish, Mont., died Aug. 7 from combat operations in the Anbar Province
4. Marine Cpl. Adam McKiski, 24, Cherry Valley, Ill., died Aug. 7 from combat operations in the Anbar Province.
5. Marine Sgt. Jose Ulloa, 23, New York, N.Y., died Aug. 3 in the Anbar Province from an IED explosion.
6. Marine Sgt. Michael Ferschke, 22, Maryville Tenn., died Aug. 10 during combat operations in the Salahuddin Province
7. Army Sgt. Kenneth Gibson, 25, Christiansburg Va., died Aug. 10 in Tarmiyah, a part of the Kirkuk Province from IED explosion.
8. Army Cpl. James Hale, 23, Naperville, Ill., died Aug. 13 in Baghdad from an IED.
9. Marine Pfc. Daniel McGuire, 19, Mashpee Mass., died Aug. 14 as the result of combat operations in the Anbar Province.
10. Spc. Steve Fitzmorris, 26 Columbia, Mo., died Aug. 25 from enemy fire in Adahamiyah, Iraq, a part of the Baghdad Province.
11. Army Spc. Carlo Alfonso, 23, Spokane Wash., died Aug. 26 from an IED in Sadr City, Baghdad Province.
12. Army Sgt. David Cooper, 25, Williamsburg, Ky., died Aug. 27 from wounds sustained in small arms fire in Qadasiyah, Ninawa Province.
13. Army Spc. Michael Gonzalez, 20, Spotswood, N.J., died Aug. 28 from wounds sustained from an IED explosion in Baghdad.