Italy Considers Taking 3 Guantanamo Detainees
June 15, 2009Italy says it is open to taking at least three detainees from Guantanamo.
An aide to Premier Silvio Berlusconi said Monday the topic will likely come up during the Italian leader's meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House later in the day.
The aide, speaking anonymously as is customary, said Italy would consider taking in at least three prisoners from the U.S. prison in Cuba - although it would want to evaluate each individual case first.
Last month, Italy's foreign minister, Franco Frattini, had said Italy was considering a U.S. request to take two Tunisian prisoners from Guantanamo.
Also Monday, the EU announced its member nations were ready to let its countries take in detainees.
(Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)