Man gets 15 years in prison in NYC subway shove

March 16, 2012 - 2:35 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — A restaurant cook convicted of shoving a stranger into the side of an oncoming New York City subway train has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Jose Rojas said at his sentencing Friday that he felt terrible about the injuries Ute (OOH'-tah) Linhart suffered.

Last month, the 26-year-old Rojas was convicted of assault but acquitted of attempted murder. Both charges were equally serious.

Prosecutors called the August 2010 incident a senseless but deliberate crime. Rojas' lawyers say it was a drunken accident.

The Germany-born Linhart says she's relieved the case is resolved. But she notes that some of her injuries will never be.

She suffered broken ribs, a punctured lung, a broken facial bone and neck and leg injuries. She says she missed six months of work.