BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — The lawyer for war crimes suspect Ratko Mladic says he has formally filed an appeal against the former general's detention — a move that will likely delay his extradition for at least a day.
Attorney Milos Saljic asked for a battery of doctors to examine the 69-year old. Mladic was arrested last week after 16 years on the run, and is said to have suffered at least two strokes.
Saljic says he has mailed his appeal from an unspecified post office in Belgrade on Monday. Court officials will now need to wait for it and review it before moving forward with the case.
Bruno Vekaric, Serbia's deputy war crimes prosecutor, says Mladic is employing delaying tactics and that nothing should prevent his extradition to the international war crimes court in The Hague, Netherlands.