National Guard deployment extended

June 1, 2011 - 4:43 PM

GRANJENO, Texas (AP) — The Obama Administration is extending a one year, 1,200 troop deployment on the border set to expire June 30 by at least three months, after lawmakers in Arizona and Texas pressed for better security.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matthew Chandler says the president is asking Congress to reprogram $30 million to keep the National Guard in place at least through September.

Anticipating the end of their deployment, some units had already started moving out, said Matthew Benson, a spokesman for Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who has repeatedly asked the Administration for more law enforcement along the border. Now it appears those soldiers will be moving back.