No Suspects in Custody, Says Boston Police Chief; FBI Takes Lead in Blast Probe

April 15, 2013 - 9:43 PM

Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick pauses as he speaks about the Boston Marathon explosions during a news conference on Monday evening. Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis looks on (AP Photo/ Bizuayehu Tesfaye)

(CNSNews.com) – No suspects were in custody following Monday’s deadly blasts at the finish-line of the Boston Marathon, Boston police commissioner Edward Davis told reporters shortly before 9 PM eastern time, contradicting some media reports to the contrary.

At least three people were killed in the blasts and, according to Gov. Deval Patrick, more than 100 had been hurt. Davis told a press briefing in Boston that some had “serious, serious injuries.”

“There is no suspect," Davis said. “There are people that we are talking to, but there is no suspect at Brigham and Women’s Hospital as has been widely reported in the press.”

The FBI has taken the lead in what special agent in charge Rick DesLauriers described as a “very active and fluid investigation,” combining federal, state and local efforts.

The aim was to “bring those responsible to justice as quickly as possible.”

He called for a “heightened state of vigilance in the Boston area,” and for people to report any suspicious activity or packages.

The blasts took place around 2:50 PM, seconds apart. Officials at the press conference did not confirm reports that the dead include an eight year-old child.

Davis said earlier police were investigating a third incident – more than an hour later – at the John F. Kennedy Library as possibly related, but said later it may have been a fire and was still under investigation.

Asked whether police were confident they had found all of the explosives, Davis replied that the area had been cleared and no additional devices located.

“I’m not prepared to say that we are at ease at this point in time,” he added.

Speaking from the White House, President Obama said he had “directed the full resources of the federal government to help state and local authorities protect our people, increase security around the United States as necessary, and investigate what happened.”

“We still do not know who did this or why,” Obama said. “And people shouldn’t jump to conclusions before we have all the facts.  But make no mistake – we will get to the bottom of this.  And we will find out who did this; we'll find out why they did this.  Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups will feel the full weight of justice.”