(CNSNews.com) - North Dakota's Republican Governor John Hoeven arrived in Havana Monday to promote trade of peas, wheat and other home-grown crops.
Hoeven will be in Cuba through Thursday. He is the second sitting American governor to visit Cuba since the U.S. imposed the economic and trade embargo in 1959. Illinois Governor George Ryan visited Cuba earlier this year and conducted a similar trade mission in 1999.
"Agriculture is a cornerstone of our economy, and potential exports to Cuba exceed $37 million per year," said Hoeven in a statement before leaving.
"It is vital that we pursue all legitimate efforts to build bridges between North Dakota farmers and world markets everywhere to build our long-term prosperity," he said.
Wire service reports said Hoeven decided last week to proceed with the trip, despite concerns expressed by the Bush administration.
"The White House is very concerned that this is strictly a trade mission, and of course, that's what it is," Hoeven said. "We're going over there to get contracts for our farmers, to sell food products."
While in Cuba, Hoeven and his delegation are expected to meet with Pedro Alvarez, president of Alimport, Cuba's food import company; visit government and cooperative farms; and tour a wheat mill and pasta plant.
The Miami-based Cuban-American National Foundation remains totally opposed to U.S. food shipments to Cuba. A spokeswoman said the U.S. should not do business with a "morally bankrupt regime."
E-mail a news tip to Jim Burns.
Send a Letter to the Editor about this article.