NY detectives searching evidence in Etan Patz case

August 10, 2012 - 2:35 PM
Missing NYC Boy

Satellite television trucks park outside a residential storefront building at the corner of Prince Street and Broadway after an earlier police search of the building in the ongoing Etan Patz investigation on Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012 in the Soho section of New York. Police investigating the 1979 disappearance of the 6-year-old Patz said Pedro Hernandez of Maple Shade, N.J., told them he lured the boy into the location when it was a shop, with the promise of a soda. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)

NEW YORK (AP) — Detectives returned Friday to the site of a former grocery store in the investigation into the 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz, a 6-year-old boy who was one of the first missing children ever featured on a milk carton.

Barricades kept spectators away as police resumed the search in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood, where the alleged abductor once worked.

Police had searched the site Wednesday, though they're not saying what they have found, if anything.

Pedro Hernandez, of Maple Shade, N.J., was charged earlier this year in Etan's death and remains held without bail. Hernandez was a stock clerk at the convenience store when Etan disappeared while heading to school.

A judge declared Etan dead in 2001. His body has never been found.

Prosecutors have said the 51-year-old Hernandez in May admitted killing Patz. His attorney has described Hernandez as bipolar and schizophrenic with a history of hallucinations.

His next court date is Oct. 1 as both sides continue to investigate the case.