Philippine massacre victims to file case vs Arroyo

November 21, 2011 - 9:05 PM

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A lawyer for relatives of 57 people massacred in 2009 in the southern Philippines says they will sue former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo over the killings, which they claim she could have prevented.

Two Arroyo allies, including a former governor of an autonomous Muslim region, are among about 100 suspects being tried on murder charges in the politically charged bloodbath that occurred two years ago Wednesday. Lawyer Harry Roque says he will file the lawsuit seeking damages later Tuesday.

Roque says Arroyo should have known that Andal Ampatuan Sr. and his son were a danger. The Ampatuans have denied ambushing a convoy that included their political opponents and media workers.

Arroyo was arrested last week on electoral fraud charges.