Saudi official warns against fighting in Syria

March 25, 2013 - 6:28 AM

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — The Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman has warned Saudis fighting in Syria they will be arrested when they return home.

Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki says "involvement in the Syrian crisis is against Saudi laws."

Al-Turki said Monday authorities will also crack down on those planning to travel to Syria to join the fighting there and that some Saudis who joined the Syrian conflict have already fought for al-Qaida outside the kingdom.

He also commented on last week's arrest of an 18-member spying ring in the kingdom.

The ministry has said the detainees included an Iranian, a Lebanese and 16 Saudis who were suspected of "gathering information about vital installations and locations."

Iran denied any involvement in the case. Al-Turki says the kingdom did not implicate any specific country.