Sean Smith’s Mom: Obama Didn’t Follow-Up on Personal Promise; Asks Congress: ‘Please, Please Help Me Find Out Who is Responsible’

April 11, 2013 - 2:45 PM
Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Sean Smith

President Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton at Andrews Air Force Base on Sept. 14, 2012, when the caskets of Sean Smith, Chris Stevens, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty returned to the U.S.A. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - Patricia Smith--the mother of Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith, who was murdered by terrorists in Benghazi seven months ago today--says that President Barack Obama and other administration officials did not follow-up on promises they made to her personally when she traveled to Washington, D.C. last September to meet the return to the United States of her son’s casket.

Mrs. Smith says she wants to know why her son and the others at the State Department compound in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012 were abandoned by their government.

“Please, Please help me find out who is responsible and fix it so no more of our sons and daughters are abandoned by the country they love,” she said in a letter sent Monday to Rep. Frank Wolf (R.-Va.)

“When I was in Wash. DC at the reception of the caskets, I asked for and received promises from Pres. Obama, Hillary Clinton, Leon Panetta, VP Biden and several other dignitaries in attendance,” Mrs. Smith said in her letter. “They all looked me directly in the eyes and promised they would find out and let me know. I got only one call from a clerk about a month later quoting from the time line, which I already had.”

Sean Smith

Terrorists murdered State Department Information Management Officer Sean Smith in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012. (State Dept. photo)

Mrs. Smith told Rep. Wolf--to whom she had also placed an unsolicited telephone call on Monday afternoon--that she was endorsing legislation he has proposed—H. Res. 36—to establish a special House committee specifically for the purpose of investigating the Benghazi attack and how the Obama administration handled it and its aftermath.

Sean Smith, who signed up to serve in the U.S. Air Force when he was only 17 years old, was 34 when he died last Sept. 11. By then, he had served a decade in the State Department, working as information management specialist.

In addition to his mother and father, Smith also left behind his wife, Heather, and two children, Nathan and Samantha.

Wolf’s resolution now has 89 co-sponsors in the House and was endorsed last week by a group of 700 special operations veterans, led by retired Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin, who worked with the Central Intelligence Agency, and was commander of Delta Force, and the U.S. Special Forces Command before becoming assistant secretary of defense for intelligence.

Sean Smith, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton

President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton bowed their heads at Andrews Air Force Base on Sept. 14, 2012, when the caskets of the Americans murdered by terrorists in Benghazi returned to the United States. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

The special-forces veterans said a House special committee on Benghazi is needed so that at least 16 unanswered questions can be seriously investigated and answered for the American people. These range from why there was no military response while the protracted series of attacks was taking place in Benghazi to who specifically was in the White House Situation Room as it unfolded.

They also include:

--“What data (which will reveal exact timelines and command decisions) is contained within the various SITREPS, records, logs, videos and recordings maintained by the myriad of DOD, Intelligence Community and State Department Command Centers that were monitoring the events in Benghazi as they unfolded?”

--“Why did the Commander-in Chief and Secretary of State never once check in during the night to find out the status of the crisis situation in Benghazi?” 

--“What was the nature of Ambassador Stevens’ business in Benghazi at the time of the attack?”

--“What guidance has been provided to survivors and family members since the time of the attack, and who issued that guidance?”

In her letter, Mrs. Smith said she completely agreed with the sixteen questions the special veterans were asking and the need for the special committee Rep. Wolf is requesting.

“I especially want to know WHY the four were abandoned the way they were,” she said. “My son told me that he saw someone taking pictures just before this happened and reported it. He told me they asked repeatedly for better security.”

“It is very difficult to find out Leon Panetta advised Pres. Obama that the attack was occurring and Pres. Obama went to bed without sending help,” said Mrs. Smith. “It is too late for my son but not too late for those that follow.”

Sean Smith, Andrews Air Force Base

Andrews Air Force Base, Sept. 14, 2012 (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

When she testified about Benghazi in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Jan. 23, then-Secretary of State Clinton explained that keeping State Department personnel safe in their overseas postings was a “personal” matter with her—exemplified when she stood with President Obama and hugged the family members of the Benghazi victims when their caskets arrived home at Andrews Air Force Base.

“For me, this is not just a matter of policy, it's personal,” said Clinton. “I stood next to President Obama as the Marines carried those flag draped caskets off the plan at Andrews. I put my arms around the mothers and fathers, the sisters and brothers, the sons and daughters and the wives left alone to raise their children.”