Sheriff: Man believed to be CA quarry shooter dead

October 6, 2011 - 3:10 PM
California Quarry Shooting

This undated photo provided Wednesday Oct. 5, 2011 by the City of Cupertino, Calif., shows Shareef Allman. Schools were on lockdown or closed in the Silicon Valley city of Cupertino as SWAT teams sought Allman, who authorities say killed two and wounded at least six at the Northern California limestone quarry where he worked, and may have also shot a woman in an attempted carjacking afterward. Allman allegedly opened fire at a safety meeting at the Permanente Quarry at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, Santa Clara County Sheriff's spokesman Jose Cardoza said. (AP Photo/City of Cupertino)

SUNNYVALE, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say three Northern California sheriff's deputies shot and killed a man believed to be the suspect in a deadly quarry shooting.

Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith says investigators believe the man is 47-year-old Shareef Allman, but the coroner will have to confirm the identity.

Smith says three deputies were on routine patrol in a Sunnyvale neighborhood Thursday morning when they encountered a man crouched behind a vehicle in the driveway of a home. He matched Allman's description.

Smith says the deputies opened fire after the man displayed a handgun.

The fatal confrontation happened in the same neighborhood that authorities had scoured a day earlier in search of Allman. He's accused of opening fire during an early-morning meeting at Permanente Quarry in Cupertino, killing three co-workers and wounding six.