Sony wants subpoena for Jackson footage quashed

July 22, 2011 - 8:00 PM
Michael Jackson Doctor

FILE - In this Jan. 25, 2011 file photo, Dr. Conrad Murray, singer Michael Jackson’s personal physician, appears in Los Angeles Superior Court where Murray pleaded not guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the pop star’s 2009 death. Sony Pictures asked a judge Friday to quash a subpoena requiring it to produce footage from Jackson's film

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Sony Pictures is asking the judge hearing Michael Jackson's manslaughter trial to throw out a subpoena for footage of the singer's final rehearsal after a defense attorney said earlier this week that reviewing them was "a big waste of time."

Attorneys for the studio, which owns footage to the "This Is It" film depicting Jackson's last rehearsals, made the request Friday.

They cited quotes by J. Michael Flanagan in which he said the footage didn't show Jackson in poor health and reviewing all the outtakes hadn't been worth the effort.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor will consider Sony's request on Monday.

Pastor canceled weekend plans to review some of the 16 hours of footage that attorneys wanted shown to jurors during the upcoming case against Dr. Conrad Murray.