BOSTON (AP) — A former El Salvadoran military official who is accused of playing a role in the 1989 massacre of six Jesuit priests has been taken into custody in Massachusetts.
A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's office in Boston says Inocente Orlando Montano was arrested without incident on Tuesday and was expected to make an initial appearance in U.S. District Court later in the day.
The spokeswoman, Christina DiIorio-Sterling, wouldn't provide further details. A human rights organization said earlier this month that Montano had been tracked to the Boston suburb of Everett.
Nine former soldiers and officials recently turned themselves over to a court in El Salvador after being indicted in Spain in connection with the killings of the priests. Montano, who was also among those indicted, has previously denied any involvement.