Rasmussen: 58% of Voters Agree the Media ‘Are Truly the Enemy of the People’

By Terence P. Jeffrey | July 9, 2021 | 2:06pm EDT
(Photo by Evelyn Hockstein/CBS via Getty Images)
(Photo by Evelyn Hockstein/CBS via Getty Images)

Fifty-eight percent of likely voters either strongly agree (34 percent) or somewhat agree (24 percent) with the statement that the “media are ‘truly the enemy of the people,’” according to a survey conducted this week for Rasmussen Reports by Pulse Opinion Research.

In an article published on its website on Friday, Rasmussen Reports noted: “In the wake of the 2019 Mueller Report, which found no evidence of the ‘Russian collusion’ the media had hyped, Trump tweeted: ‘Fake News is truly the ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!’”

This inspired the question that Rasmussen asked of 1,000 likely voters on Wednesday and Thursday of this week: “Do you agree or disagree with this statement: The media are ‘truly the enemy of the people’?”

The results: 34 percent said they “strongly agree;” 24 percent said they “somewhat agree;” 13 percent said they “somewhat disagree;” 23 percent said they “strongly disagree;” and 6 percent said they were “not sure.”

Among self-identified conservatives, 56 percent said they “strongly agree” and 25 percent said they “somewhat agree”—for a total of 81 percent who strongly or somewhat agree. Only 15 percent of conservatives said the "strongly disagree" (7 percent) or "somewhat disagree" (8 percent), while 5 percent said they were not sure.

Among self-identified liberals, 11 percent said they “strongly agree” and 19 percent said they “somewhat agree”—for a total of 30 percent who strongly or somewhat agree. By contrast, 54 percent of liberals said they "strongly disagree" and 14 percent said they "somewhat disagree," while 3 percent were not sure.

Among Republicans, 54 percent said they “strongly agree” and 22 percent said they “somewhat agree”—for a total of 76 percent who strongly or somewhat agree.

Among Democrats, 17 percent said they “strongly agree” and 20 percent said they “somewhat agree”—for a total of 37 percent who strongly or somewhat agree.

The survey also asked: “How serious of a problem is ‘fake news’ in the media?” Eighty-three percent of likely voters said it was either “very serious” (55 percent) or “somewhat serious” (28 percent). 

Ninety-one percent of conservatives said it was a “very serious” (71 percent) or a “somewhat serious” (20 percent) problem.

Even 73 percent of self-identified liberals said it was either a “very serious” (37 percent) or “somewhat serious” (36 percent) problem.

The survey additionally asked: “Do you trust the political news you are getting?” Only 37 percent said yes, while 43 percent said no and 20 percent were not sure.

Among conservatives, 61 percent said they did not trust the political news they were getting, while 16 percent said they were not sure. Only 23 percent of conservatives did trust the political news they were getting.

Among liberals, by contrast, 56 percent did trust the political news they were getting and 19 percent did not, while 24 percent were not sure.

MRC Store