(CNS News) -- In a new survey, Gallup found that only 7% of Americans have a "great deal" of "trust and confidence" in the mass media, and 34% have no trust at all in the media.
In September, Gallup asked a random sample of 1,005 adults in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the following question: "In general, how much trust and confidence do you have in the mass media -- such as newspapers, T.V. and radio -- when it comes to reporting the news fully, accurately, and fairly -- a great deal, a fair amount, not very much, or none at all?"
In response, 7% said they had a "great deal" of trust and confidence and 29% said they had a "fair amount" of confidence, for a total of 36% on the positive side.
However, 34% of Americans said "none at all" in terms of trust in the media, and another 29% said "not very much." That's 63% on the negative side.
"Between 1972 and 1976, 68% to 72% of Americans expressed trust in the mass media; yet, by 1997, when the question was next asked, trust had dropped to 53%," reported Gallup. "Trust in the media, which has averaged 45% since 1997, has not reached the majority level since 2003."
"After hitting its lowest point in 2016, trust in the media rebounded, gaining 13 points in two years -- mostly because of a surge among Democrats amid President Donald Trump's antagonistic relationship with the press and increased scrutiny of his administration by the media," reported Gallup. "Since 2018, however, it has fallen a total of nine points, as trust has slid among all party groups."
When broken down politically, the survey numbers show that 68% of Democrats have a "great deal/fair amount" of trust and confidence in the media.
However, only 11% of Republicans and 31% of Independents have a "great deal/fair amount" of trust in the mass media.
Commenting on the media in general, Media Research Center President Brent Bozell, said, "they are fully vested in socialism themselves, this is not a news media anymore," which explains why so few Americans trust them.
Disclosure: CNS News is a division of the Media Research Center.