59% 'Negative' Experience With Obamacare Exchanges

By Barbara Boland | January 3, 2014 | 11:21am EST

HealthCare.gov health insurance exchange web site. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) -- A new poll of uninsured Americans seeking health-care options through the Obamacare health insurance exchange websites shows that 59% had a "negative” experience -- 30% "negative" and 29% "very negative," for a "total negative" of 59%.

That "total" rating is down only slightly from October/November, when 63%  ranked  their Obamacare exchange website experience as a negaive, according to Gallup. In the new poll, a total of only 39% ranked their experience on the exchanges as positive -- 32% "positive" and only 7% "very positive."

Currently, 26% of uninsured Americans say they have visited a health insurance exchange website, up from 20% in the October and November polling.

President Barack Obama, surrounded by members of Congress and supporters, signs the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, into law on Mar. 23, 2010. (AP)

Gallup conducted daily tracking interviews via phone from Dec. 1-29 with more than 1,500 uninsured Americans, “including roughly 450 who have visited a health insurance exchange website. …  Among uninsured Americans who have visited an exchange, 24% say they went to a federal exchange, 20% to a state exchange, 17% to both, and 37% are unsure.”

The poll’s margin of error for the 454 who visited an exchange is +/- 6 points.

The Obama administration set a goal of having the major technical problems with the federal exchange fixed by Nov. 30. All of Gallup’s polling was done after that date; however, some respondents may have visited the exchanges before Nov. 30, said the polling firm.

“The update suggests the website fixes have not dramatically improved the customer experience for uninsured Americans seeking health insurance to comply with requirements of the Affordable Care Act, also known as ‘Obamacare,’” the poll says.

MRC Store