Court to Hear NAMBLA Literature Case

By Mark Mead | July 7, 2008 | 8:19pm EDT

(CNSNews.com) - A U.S. District Court judge in Massachusetts this week will conduct an open hearing into whether incriminating background information about the North American Man-Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) should be included in a wrongful death lawsuit against the group.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ALCU) is defending NAMBLA in the suit that was filed last year by the parents of Jeffrey Curley. In 1997, Jeffrey, at the age of 10, was murdered and sodomized by two homosexuals.

The Curleys, who are asking for $200 million in their suit, accuse NAMBLA and its Internet website of prompting Salvatore Sicari and NAMBLA member Charles Jaynes to attack the boy.

According to allegations in the lawsuit, Jaynes, who became a NAMBLA member in 1997, obtained material from a computer at a Boston area public library, which they claim inspired him to commit the Oct. 1, 1997, crime.

Sicari and Jaynes are serving life terms in prison after being convicted of murder in the case.

According to evidence introduced at the murder trial, Sicari and Jaynes suffocated Curley by gagging him with a gasoline-soaked rag and, after the boy had died, sodomized him. Jeffrey's body was then placed in a cement-filled container and dropped in a Maine river.

Rising to the defense of NAMBLA, the ACLU argues that Jeffrey's parents, Robert and Barbara Curley, are wrong to want information from NAMBLA and testimony from undercover agents included in the wrongful death lawsuit.

"However tragic, the death of Jeffrey Curley was not a likely result of the defendants' publication of the material at issue," reads the legal brief filed by the ACLU. "No fair reading of these materials would result in the conclusion that they incited torture, murder and mutilation."

The Massachusetts ACLU did not return phone calls for additional comment, but said in a statement that NAMBLA bears no responsibility for the murder and rape of Jeffrey Curley.

"The lawsuit involved here, were it to succeed, would strike at the heart of freedom of speech," the statement read. "The case is based on a shocking murder. But the lawsuit says the crime is the responsibility not of those who committed the murder, but of someone who posted vile material on the Internet."

Rev. Louis Sheldon's Traditional Values Coalition, a pro-family think tank in Washington, DC, has been working with the Curleys' lawyers and has helped finance the lawsuit.

Sheldon believes access to pornographic materials at the Boston Public Library inspired Jaynes to murder and rape the boy, and that NAMBLA should be prosecuted accordingly.

"We have the manual that they give to all the NAMBLA people called 'Rape and Escape'... here's how you rape them and here's how you escape. We are convinced that this is a national menace."

Sheldon also believes federal judge George O'Toole's decision to conduct a public hearing on the subject is significant.

"Usually he (the judge) gives the denial on a piece of paper, but he's calling for a public hearing," Sheldon said, "which says that he wants it out in the clear. He doesn't want anything under the carpet. It will give it (the case) a higher profile."

According to Sheldon, attorneys, Lawrence Frisoli and Patrick Gellen, who are representing the Curley family, have said that a trial regarding the NAMBLA lawsuit might not begin until next year.

MRC Store