Marine Corps: ‘No Marine Handed a Weapon to a Houthi, or Had One Taken From Him’

By Patrick Goodenough | February 11, 2015 | 11:47pm EST

A critical skills operator stationed with 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion, Camp Pendleton, Calif., carries a special operations forces combat assault rifle during a training exercise. (Photo: U.S Marine Corps Division of Public Affairs)

(CNSNews.com) – The U.S. Marine Corps late Wednesday rejected reports that the Marine security detachment at the American Embassy in Yemen had surrendered their weapons at Sana’a airport before leaving the troubled Gulf state with evacuated embassy staffers.

It confirmed, however, that weapons – both personal and “crew-served” – had been destroyed before the State Department-ordered departure, “in accordance with an approved destruction plan.”

Earlier, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters that members of the detachment had handed over their pistols and rifles at the airport, as they were not permitted to take them on commercial aircraft organized for the evacuation.

Warren also said the Marines had destroyed their crew-served weapons – that is, weapons systems requiring more than one person to operate, such as heavy machine guns.

The idea that U.S. Marines would surrender their personal weapons to anyone, let alone to members of the Iranian-backed, anti-American Shi’ite militia that now claims to control Yemen, drew an angry response on social and other media.

But the U.S. Marine Corps in a statement disputed that version of events.

“No Marine handed a weapon to a Houthi, or had one taken from him,” it said.

The statement did confirm Warren’s remarks on the destruction of the crew-served weapons.

“The Marine Security Force left the American embassy in Yemen for the movement to the airfield as part of the ‘ordered departure’ with only personal weapons. All crew-served weapons were destroyed at the embassy prior to movement,” it said.

“None of them were ‘handed over’ in any way to anyone. The destruction of weapons at the embassy and the airport was carried out in accordance with an approved destruction plan.

“Upon arrival at the airfield, all personal weapons were rendered inoperable in accordance with advance planning,” the statement continued.

“Specifically, each bolt was removed from its weapons body and rendered inoperable by smashing with sledgehammers. The weapons bodies, minus the bolts, were then separately smashed with sledgehammers.

“All of these destroyed components were left at the airport – and components were scattered; no usable weapon was taken from any Marine at Sana’a airport. To be clear: No Marine handed a weapon to a Houthi, or had one taken from him.”

Earlier, Fox News’ Megyn Kelly reported that, according to a source, the order for Marines to hand over their personal weapons at the airport had come from the State Department.

“Now, tonight, a senior Defense official confirming to Fox News that Marines were directed to turn over their weapons before they were allowed to leave,” Kelly said on her show. “According to one source, the order came from the U.S. State Department.”

Iraq and Afghanistan war veteran Pete Hegseth, a guest on “The Kelly File,” voiced outrage.

“So, we’re surrendering around the world, we’re surrendering our embassy, and now we’re asking U.S. Marines to surrender their dignity, give up oaths that they make, creeds that they live by, and surrender their rifle,” he said.

“Never heard of Marines surrendering their weapons,” was a typical comment on Twitter, where reactions to the allegation poured in. “For shame,” “outrageous” and “disgraceful” were among the observations. Others were unprintable.

CNSNews Reader,

The media are hard at work weaving a web of confusion, misinformation, and conspiracy surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

CNSNews covers the stories that the liberal media are afraid to touch. It drives the national debate through real, honest journalism—not by misrepresenting or ignoring the facts.

CNSNews has emerged as the conservative media’s lynchpin for original reporting, investigative reporting, and breaking news. We are part of the only organization purely dedicated to this critical mission and we need your help to fuel this fight.

Donate today to help CNSNews continue to report on topics that the liberal media refuse to touch. $25 a month goes a long way in the fight for a free and fair media.

And now, thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, you can make up to a $300 gift to the 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of your choice and use it as a tax deduction on your 2020 taxes, even if you take the standard deduction on your returns.

— The CNSNews Team

DONATE

Connect

Sign up for our CNSNews Daily Newsletter to receive the latest news.